Columbus Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Nursing home resident abuse and neglect can arise from criminal staff members, negligent management, or both. A loved one who suffers from elder abuse may never fully recover. If you have an elderly family member with damages from suspected elder abuse at a nursing facility in Columbus, do not hesitate to contact our Columbus nursing home abuse lawyers at Elk & Elk. We can take immediate action to protect and defend your loved one.
Why Choose Us?
- Our Columbus injury attorneys have a reputation for success. We have obtained more than $1 billion in results for our clients, including several six-figure outcomes on nursing home abuse and neglect cases.
- Our attorneys can take on even the largest and most complex cases. We can go up against major corporations and established nursing facilities in the Columbus area using dedicated resources and personnel.
- Our attorneys will only charge you for their services if your case ends in financial recovery. Our firm operates on a contingency fee basis, with zero up-front costs and free initial consultations.
Why Do You Need a Lawyer?
Handling an elder abuse claim on your own could put you at risk of unfair insurance company tactics. The nursing home’s insurance company may severely undervalue your claim, or deny it even if you have valid grounds. A lawyer has the resources to fight back against insurance companies. You can rest assured that someone is standing up for your loved one’s rights and fighting for fair compensation while you focus on your family.
Signs of Elder Abuse
The four types of elder abuse are physical, mental, sexual, and financial. Many cases of elder abuse in nursing facilities involve more than one type, such as physical and financial or mental and sexual. The outward signs of elder abuse can change depending on the type of abuse, severity of the case, and the individual victim. A few common red flags, however, may help you identify abuse when you see it.
- Withdrawn behaviors
- Social isolation
- Lack of interest in previously enjoyed activities
- Anxiety or depression
- Feelings of guilt or shame
- Refusal to eat
- Weight loss or weight gain
- Signs of malnourishment
- Physical signs of abuse, such as strange bruising
- Unexpected changes in mental status
- Unkempt physical appearance
- Mood swings
- Broken bones or unexplained trips to the hospital
- Unusual bank account activity
Elderly victims often remain silent about their plights. They may fear retaliation, or suffer from mental incapacities that do not enable them to come forward. It is often up to loved ones to notice possible signs of elder abuse and to speak up. If you notice any of the above-mentioned symptoms, your loved one may be the victim of nursing home abuse. Call an attorney immediately for further investigation.
What to Do If You Suspect Elder Abuse at a Columbus Nursing Home
If you believe a nursing home is committing elder neglect or abuse against your loved one, tell someone. Call 911 immediately if you believe your loved one is in immediate, life-threatening danger. Otherwise, call local adult protective services to report your suspicions. Remove your loved one from the nursing home to a safe location, if possible. Wait for officials to investigate your claim. They may visit the nursing home and conduct an inspection. If your loved one suffered bedsores, broken bones, an infection, or another mental, physical, or financial harm while at the nursing facility, call Elk & Elk.
Contact Our Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys Today
Elder abuse at a nursing facility could be the beginning of the end for your loved one. He or she may suffer physical injuries or mental trauma that permanently alters his or her health status. At Elk & Elk, we are passionate about defending the rights of wronged nursing home residents in the Columbus community. Let us help you achieve justice and fair financial recovery. Call (614) 230-0634 today.