Cleveland Mesothelioma Diagnosis Attorney
Mesothelioma is a devastating form of cancer that develops after exposure to asbestos, a dangerous substance common up until the 1980s. However, mesothelioma diagnoses usually do not occur until decades after the disease. Many victims only recently discovered the condition resulting from their past exposure.
Receiving a mesothelioma diagnosis can be devastating, but you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. If you or a loved one was diagnosed with mesothelioma, contact the Cleveland mesothelioma diagnosis lawyer at Elk & Elk Co., Ltd today to discuss your situation. You may be eligible for significant compensation for your ailment.
Why Choose Elk & Elk Co., Ltd?
When clients in the Cleveland area discover that they have mesothelioma, they turn to Elk & Elk Co., Ltd to represent their claim due to our affordability, experience, and proven results.
- Our firm has the resources necessary to conduct a full-scale investigation into your case, consulting with experts and reviewing all pieces of evidence.
- Elk & Elk Co., Ltd has recovered over $1 billion in verdicts and settlements for our clients over our years practicing law.
- Our Cleveland personal injury attorneys have over 50 combined years of practice in all areas of personal injury law, including workplace compensation and mesothelioma cases.
What Is Mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma is a malignant and dangerous form of cancer. Asbestos, a mineral substance that many manufacturers used to form building materials and other products until the 1980s, is the cause of this cancer, becoming extremely dangerous when inhaled or ingested. Many patients with mesothelioma do not develop symptoms for up to 60 years after their exposure. At this time, cancer has a very low survival rate.
Two main types of mesothelioma exist – pleural mesothelioma and peritoneal mesothelioma. Pleural mesothelioma affects the tissue that surrounds the lungs, causing symptoms in the chest area. Peritoneal mesothelioma develops in the tissue in the abdomen, causing stomach issues and affecting the organs in the area. In very rare cases, pericardial mesothelioma can impact the tissue around the heart and mesothelioma of tunica vaginalis may affect the tissue around the testicles.
Patients may not develop the following symptoms of mesothelioma until well after their initial asbestos exposure.
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Unexplained weight loss
- Painful coughing
- Lumps of tissue under the chest skin
- Abdominal pain and swelling
Ohio Asbestos Laws
Ohio is one of the top states for mesothelioma and asbestos-related litigation, due to the historically high amount of exposure in this area. To avoid claims fraud, Ohio established certain guidelines to successfully provide a case of asbestos-caused mesothelioma. Under these guidelines, you will have to satisfy the following factors in your case.
- You must prove that you have a mesothelioma diagnosis. Since asbestos exposure is the only known cause of this disease, you will not have to prove that asbestos was a substantial factor in your illness – the mesothelioma implies this fact.
- You must prove that you suffered damages as a result of your mesothelioma diagnosis. These damages can include medical expenses, pain and suffering, loss of quality of life, lost wages, and emotional distress.
- You must name liable parties in your case and know where your asbestos exposure occurred. Your mesothelioma diagnosis attorney can help you investigate this fact if you are unsure, and Ohio maintains a database of businesses where asbestos use occurred. These liable parties can include the manufacturer of building materials, the property owner where you contracted the disease, or the successor company of the manufacturer if they are out of business.
Contact our Cleveland Mesothelioma Diagnosis Attorney
To successfully obtain compensation for your mesothelioma claim in Ohio, you have to meet the medical criteria. You must show that you suffered physical impairment to file the lawsuit; a mesothelioma diagnosis will be an acceptable form of physical impairment. This rule allows victims of asbestos exposure to file claims later on in life when their symptoms begin to develop and allows the sickest mesothelioma patients to receive compensation quicker.
Are you suffering from mesothelioma in Cleveland? Help is available and you may be eligible to claim compensation for your injuries. Contact Elk & Elk Co., Ltd to discuss the facts of your case and begin your mesothelioma lawsuit today.