How to Prevent Holiday Package Theft
Posted in Consumer Protection on December 15, 2020
The holidays are here! Sadly, so too are package thieves.
Around the country, more than 1.7 million packages are stolen or go missing every day, adding up to more than $25 million in lost goods and services, according to an analysis by José Holguín-Veras, an engineering professor and director of the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Center of Excellence for Sustainable Urban Freight Systems.
As online shopping grows in popularity, an increasing number of consumers are targeted by package-stealing Grinches. Fortunately, there are ways to keep your purchases safe from “porch pirates.”
- Have your packages delivered to work.
- Have your packages delivered to the home of a relative or friend that you know will be home.
- Have your packages held at your local post office for pickup.
- Take advantage of “Ship to Store” option that many stores offer.
- Amazon offers a “locker” feature that allows you to pick up your packages from a secure location.
- Request that your packages receive signature confirmation upon delivery.
- Ask your carrier to place your packages in an area out of plain view.