Our Blog

Sparklers: 4th of July fun or accident waiting to happen?

Sparklers seem harmless. You’ve probably stocked up on them for 4th of July picnics and cookouts and handed them out to your kids without a second thought.

But did you know these “toys” can burn as hot as a blow torch? Or that they are one of the leading causes of fireworks-related injuries?

If you’re still not convinced of the dangers, take a few minutes to read this terrifying firsthand account of the sparkler injuries that nearly ended a wedding photographer’s career.

Instead of breaking out the sparklers this 4th of July, we recommend entertaining guests at your holiday bash with safer alternatives. Keep it simple with glow sticks and silly string, or go all out with kid-friendly patriotic DIYs.

Sparkler Safety Tips

If you do decide to pass out sparklers at your house over the holiday, follow these safety guidelines to help prevent injuries:

  • Opt for wood sparklers. Metal “wedding sparklers” burn longer and get hotter than wood versions, which can increase the chances of someone getting hurt.
  • Use your best judgement. Regardless of your child’s age, if you have any doubts they will be able to handle sparklers responsibly it’s not worth the risk.
  • Check with parents first. Ask permission from parents of any kids visiting your home before letting them light up a sparkler, even if you feel they’re old enough.
  • Set ground rules. Sparklers should only be lit in open areas with adult supervision. Never hold more than one sparkler at once, point them at others in close range or swing one near another person’s face.
  • Dispose of sparklers properly. Immediately put used sticks in a bucket of water to prevent guests from stepping on or touching one that is still hot.

Sparklers can be a fun addition to your 4th of July festivities when used with caution, but fireworks should always be left to the professionals.

However you decide to celebrate the 4th of July this year, we hope you and your family have a fun and safe holiday!