Ohio medical malpractice lawyers at Elk & Elk are serious about your injury
Depending on which part of the spine is affected, the lifetime cost of quadriplegia can be several million dollars for medical care alone – not to mention pain and suffering, lost wages and a diminished quality of life.
In today’s profits-before-people climate, you need an experienced, competent legal team to ensure your rights and your well-being are protected for the rest of your life should you fall victim to paralysis, especially if it’s because of a health care provider’s mistake.
Call 1-800-ELK-OHIO or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with the experienced and resourceful attorneys at Elk & Elk Co., Ltd. We have 50 years of experience protecting injury victims throughout Ohio, and we are dedicated to fighting for your rights.
Stop wondering if the insurance companies are treating you fairly
When doctors make mistakes, you can bet they have access to the best legal defense teams money can buy. There’s no reason you shouldn’t have the same kind of high-caliber legal counsel yourself, making sure the health care provider’s insurance company treats you fairly and ensures the viability of you and your family for the rest of your lives.
At Elk & Elk, we employ the best lawyers, paralegals, doctors, nurses, accountants and experts available. We work on a no-fee-unless-you-win basis and we spare no expense to see to it that you and your family are treated fairly and are able to get your lives back on track as quickly and seamlessly as the situation allows.
- About 250,000 Americans have a spinal cord injury (SCI).
- 52% of spinal cord-injured individuals are considered paraplegic and 47% quadriplegic.
- Approximately 11,000 new injuries occur each year.
- 82% are male.
- 56% of injuries occur between the ages of 16 and 30.
- The average age of a spinal cord-injured person is 31.
- Spinal cord injuries are most commonly caused by:
- Vehicular accidents 37%
- Violence 28%
- Falls 21%
- Sports-related 6%
- Other 8%
- The most rapidly increasing cause of injuries is violence; vehicular accident injuries are decreasing in number.
- 89% of all SCI individuals are discharged from hospitals to a private home, 4.3% are discharged to nursing homes.
- Only 52% of SCI individuals are covered by private health insurance at the time of injury.
Spinal cord injury costs
- Length of initial hospitalization following injury in acute care units: 15 days
- The average stay in rehabilitation unit: 44 days
- Initial hospitalization costs following injury: $140,000
- Average first-year expenses for a SCI (all groups): $198,000
- First-year expenses for paraplegics: $152,000
- First-year expenses for quadriplegics: $417,000
- Average lifetime costs for paraplegics (age of injury 25) $428,000
- Average lifetime costs for quadriplegics (age of injury 25) $1.35 million
- SCI individuals unemployed 8 years after injury: 63%
(Source: National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center)
Call 1-800-ELK-OHIO for a free consultation if your or a loved one is paralyzed from a health care provider’s negligence
If you or someone you know has been paralyzed due to a botched medical procedure, take the time to let Elk & Elk show you the difference a top-notch medical malpractice team can make for you. Just call us at 1-800-ELK-OHIO to discuss your case, or contact us online.