Dayton Bicycle Accident Lawyer
When you are riding a bicycle on Dayton roads, you trust that the motor vehicles on the road will honor their commitment to driving safely. However, many accidents can occur between cyclists and drivers – often leading to long-lasting or even fatal consequences. If you have suffered injuries in a bicycle accident in Dayton, you can claim compensation for your injuries.
Do you need assistance for your bicycle accident insurance claim or lawsuit? Elk & Elk can help. Our Dayton personal injury lawyers have the experience, track record, and affordability necessary to help you secure the compensation you need to recover.
Why Choose Our Bicycle Accident Lawyers?
- Our firm has over 50 years of combined experience in multiple areas of personal injury law, including bicycle accidents.
- We understand that you may be in a period of recovery. Our attorneys will gladly make house calls and hospital visits when necessary.
- Our firm operates on a contingency fee basis. If we do not secure a settlement on your behalf, you do not have to pay any legal fees.
Bicycle Laws in Dayton, Ohio
One of the first factors insurance companies and juries take into account when you file a bicycle accident claim or a lawsuit, is if you were obeying bicycle laws at the time of the accident. If you were following all applicable laws, the driver who caused your accident is likely liable for your injuries. If you were struck by a motor vehicle, a Dayton car accident attorney can help.
Under Ohio state law, all bicycles are vehicles and can operate on all roads except for freeways and limited access roadways. All cyclists must adhere to the following regulations.
- All cyclists must follow the basic rules of the road on Ohio roads, such as obeying traffic laws, lights, and stop signs, following traffic control devices, and riding with traffic.
- Cyclists must ride as far to the right side of the roadway as practicable, or when it is safe and reasonable to do so.
- Cyclists must have white lights on the front of their bikes, working brakes, audible bells, and red lights and reflectors on the back of their bike.
- According to Dayton municipal law, all cyclists must wear helmets while riding.
- Cyclists cannot cling to anyone’s vehicle, ride side by side more than two per lane, or carry objects that prevent access to the handlebars.
- The same right-of-way rules that apply to motor vehicles also apply to cyclists.
Legal Options for Bicycle Accident Victims in Ohio
If you suffer injuries in a collision with a motor vehicle in Ohio, you can suffer damages such as medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage. You have two options to seek compensation for your damages in this situation: you can file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company or you can file a personal injury lawsuit in Ohio civil court. Your Elk & Elk attorney can help you assess which option is best for you. Since insurance companies can only compensate up to policy limits, you may want to pursue a lawsuit option for severe injuries.
When you file an insurance claim, you will have to encounter insurance adjusters who may not have your best interests in mind. Since the company has to pay for your injuries out of pocket, they do not want to offer you the maximum possible settlement. Before agreeing to any settlement with an insurance company, speak to your attorney.
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident in Dayton
If you can move without pain after a bicycle accident, call 911 to receive police and medical attention. These reports will be vital for your future insurance claim or lawsuit. Make sure to take photographs of your injuries, your bicycle, and the scene. In addition, collect contact information from witnesses and the driver. Contact an attorney as soon as possible.
Contact Our Dayton Bicycle Accident Attorneys Today for Help
If you are struggling with bicycle accident injuries in Dayton, Elk & Elk can assist you with your claim. Our attorneys have the resources and experience necessary to fight for your compensation. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation at our Dayton offices.