Dayton Medical Errors & Medical Mistakes
When you visit the doctor to treat an injury or illness, you expect the doctor and other medical professionals to act competently. But sometimes, mistakes can occur, leading to severe injuries and illnesses due to this negligence.
If you or a loved one is suffering from the aftermath of medical errors or mistakes in Dayton, contact Elk & Elk to discuss your case. You may be able to file a medical malpractice lawsuit and receive compensation for your injuries.
Why Choose Elk & Elk?
- Our firm has over 50 years of combined experience across multiple areas of personal injury law, including medical malpractice.
- Our attorneys strive to protect our clients and we will always maintain open, honest communication throughout your case.
- Our firm has recovered over $1 billion in settlements for personal injury cases, including some of the largest settlements in Ohio legal history.
Common Types of Medical Errors and Mistakes
When you experience an error at the hands of a medical professional, it can have devastating consequences on your health. Medical malpractice can result from many different types of healthcare errors.
- Diagnosis errors: Doctors can miss a condition, delay a diagnosis, or provide a completely inaccurate diagnosis. As a result, you can experience a health condition that develops into something more serious – leading to irreparable damage.
- Surgical errors: Issues with surgery can be very common. Surgeons can leave items inside of a body, injure a nerve, perform the wrong procedure, or perform a procedure in unsanitary conditions, leading to infections.
- Emergency room errors: When you visit the hectic emergency room, mistakes can occur. You can receive the wrong medication, suffer from worsening symptoms due to prolonged wait times, or have your medical history ignored.
- Birth injuries: While the majority of American babies have a healthy birth, some are not so lucky. Doctors can ignore the needs of both babies and mothers, leading to birth injuries such as cerebral palsy, brain damage, and injuries to the mother.
- Medication errors: Doctors and pharmacists can give you the wrong medication, the wrong dosage, or fail to give medication altogether. These errors can lead to a worsening condition, overdose, or dangerous side effects.
- Medical device defects: Medical tools can cause serious injuries and illnesses if the hospital does not maintain them properly. If a medical professional fails to sterilize, monitor, or fit the device, you can sustain injuries.
- Anesthesia errors: If you have to go under anesthesia for surgery, you can experience injuries at the hands of the anesthesiologist. You could receive the wrong dose, a delayed dose, or experience an adverse reaction to the anesthesia.
What Damages Can You Claim in Medical Error Lawsuits in Ohio?
Under Ohio state law, you can receive compensatory damages for injuries sustained as a result of medical errors and mistakes. You cannot receive compensation to recover from the injury or illness you went to the negligent doctor to treat. You can recover both economic and noneconomic damages in these lawsuits. Economic damages include out-of-pocket costs such as medical expenses and lost wages, while noneconomic damages include losses like pain and suffering and permanent disability.
The state of Ohio places limits on the amount of noneconomic damages you can receive in medical malpractice cases. You can receive noneconomic damages up to $250,000 or three times the amount of your economic damages, whichever amount is greater. You cannot receive more than $350,000 in noneconomic damages if you are the sole plaintiff, or $500,000 in catastrophic cases.
If you are suffering from injuries due to medical mistakes and errors in Dayton, Elk & Elk can help. You can file a lawsuit in civil court to receive compensation for your injuries. Contact Elk & Elk today to discuss your legal options.