Parma Wrongful Death Attorney
If you recently lost a loved one in a preventable accident in Parma, Ohio, please contact the wrongful death lawyers at Elk & Elk to request a free consultation. Wrongful death is a terrible tragedy that no family should have to endure. If you believe your loved one is a victim of wrongful death, your family could be eligible for compensation. Although no financial award can make up for your loss, holding someone accountable can help you move forward.
How a Wrongful Death Attorney in Parma, OH Can Help
Hiring a wrongful death lawyer can make the legal process easier for you and your family during this difficult time. While you focus on grieving your loss, spending time with your loved ones and planning a funeral, your lawyer can handle legal matters on your behalf, including:
- Investigating the cause of death
- Identifying the correct defendant(s)
- Gathering evidence
- Taking care of legal paperwork on your behalf
- Filing your claim by the deadline
- Answering your questions and concerns
- Negotiating with an insurance company
- Representing your family at trial, if necessary
If we believe you have grounds for a wrongful death lawsuit in Ohio, we will do everything we can to pursue justice. Our Parma wrongful death lawyers are always willing to go the extra mile for their clients.
Important Wrongful Death Laws to Know
Wrongful death is a specific practice area with several related laws and statutes. It is necessary to understand these laws if you wish to have a valid and successful wrongful death claim. Three of the most important laws to know are:
- Burden of proof. It is always the plaintiff’s burden to prove a civil case. This means it is up to your family (or your lawyer) to establish that the defendant owed your loved one a duty to exercise reasonable care, breached this duty and caused the fatal injury. A lawyer can help you meet this burden of proof by gathering evidence of negligence on your behalf.
- Statute of limitations. The statute of limitations, or time limit, to file wrongful death claims in Ohio is two years from the date of the deceased victim’s death. This may or may not be the same day as the accident that caused the fatal injury. With only rare exceptions, if you do not file by the statute of limitations, the courts will bar your family from financial recovery.
- Parties who may file. Only the representative of the deceased person’s estate has the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit in Ohio. This representative can seek financial compensation on behalf of many surviving family members. A settlement award typically goes to a surviving spouse, child and/or parent first, then to others who can prove they suffered a compensable loss.
You do not have to navigate these laws on your own. The attorneys at Elk & Elk can help you understand all of the key statutes that apply to your particular case.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death in Parma, Ohio
Your family may have grounds for a wrongful death lawsuit in Parma if the accident that caused the fatal injury was avoidable with due caution and a reasonable degree of care. Many types of accidents can lead to wrongful death claims in Ohio:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
- Premises liability accidents
- Dog attacks
- Criminal activity/acts of violence
After any tragic event that takes the life of a loved one, discuss your legal rights and options with an attorney. A lawyer will have the experience, information and resources you need for a strong claim to damages.
Contact a Parma, Ohio Wrongful Death Lawyer Today
At Elk & Elk, we entered this business out of a passion for helping people. We understand what it is like to lose a loved one, especially in traumatic circumstances. Our Ohio law firm is here for you when you need us the most.
Discuss how we can assist your family with a wrongful death lawsuit in Parma, Ohio today. Call 1-800-ELK-OHIO or send us a message online anytime.