Lorain Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Pedestrian accidents are some of the most dangerous types of collisions due to the vulnerability of the victims. As the road’s most vulnerable users, pedestrians can suffer life-threatening injuries in accidents. If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident in Lorain, Ohio, please don’t hesitate to contact Elk & Elk for a free consultation. Our Lorain pedestrian accident lawyers are passionate about helping injured pedestrians hold wrongdoers accountable.
Why Hire a Pedestrian Accident Attorney?
A pedestrian accident attorney in Lorain can answer all of the questions you have in the difficult and confusing days following a collision. Your Lorain personal injury attorney can listen to your story, provide legal advice and take care of the claims process on your behalf.
There are many important reasons to hire a pedestrian accident lawyer in Lorain, OH, including:
- An insurance company may take advantage of you without a lawyer.
- You may settle for less than your case is worth.
- You could make a common mistake, such as missing your deadline to file.
- Your serious injuries are enough to deal with without also having to handle negotiations.
- You may not know who to hold responsible for your accident.
- Investigating and litigating cases can be difficult and expensive on your own.
From investigating your pedestrian accident to negotiating for a fair and full settlement, your lawyer can take care of many critical tasks on your behalf. Meanwhile, you can have the time and peace of mind to focus on healing from your serious injuries.
Who Is Liable for a Pedestrian Collision in Ohio?
Ohio uses a fault-based insurance law for all auto accident cases, including pedestrian-vehicle collisions. With this insurance system, the party at fault for your accident is financially responsible for your injuries and related losses, including medical expenses and any losses of income.
The driver who hit you may be liable for the accident if he or she caused it through an act of negligence, such as:
- Speeding, especially in a school zone
- Running a red light or rolling through a stop sign
- Failing to yield to you at an intersection
- Ignoring pedestrian rights-of-way
- Texting and driving
- Making an illegal turn
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
Any action or omission that a responsible driver would not have committed in the same circumstances qualifies as negligence. If a driver was negligent or reckless and this caused your accident, that driver will be financially accountable. If someone else contributed to the crash, such as the government for a broken traffic light, that party can share liability. Contact a Loraine car accident lawyer today at Elk & Elk Co., Ltd.
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident in Lorain, Ohio
The steps you take immediately after your pedestrian accident can affect your ability to recover compensation. Although the aftermath of a pedestrian collision can be overwhelming, try to take some steps to protect your legal rights, if your situation allows it.
- Call the police. Do not allow the driver to convince you not to call 911.
- Stay still and wait for paramedics to arrive. Moving the incorrect way could exacerbate an injury.
- Give your side of the story to the cops, but do not admit fault for the accident.
- Write down the driver’s name and insurance information.
- Get the names and phone numbers of any eyewitnesses.
- Take photographs of the scene of the accident before you leave, if possible.
- Go to a hospital in Lorain immediately for medical care.
- Call the driver’s insurance company to file a claim.
- Gather evidence for your claim, including medical records and a copy of your police report.
- Contact a pedestrian accident attorney in Lorain before you accept a settlement.
When in doubt, contact Elk & Elk right away after a pedestrian-vehicle collision. We can immediately get to work on your claim, gathering evidence and hiring investigators for your benefit. Our lawyers will guide you through each phase of the legal process.
Contact Elk & Elk for a Free Pedestrian Accident Consultation
If you’ve recently been injured in a pedestrian accident, you most likely have more questions than answers. Request a free consultation with a pedestrian accident attorney in Lorain, Ohio from Elk & Elk who can help you understand your legal rights. Call 1-800-ELK-OHIO 24/7 for a free case review.