Marilena DiSilvio joined Elk & Elk Co., Ltd., as a partner, in 2014. A former registered nurse and experienced trial attorney, Marilena's practice focuses on birth injuries, medical negligence and personal injury. Prior to joining Elk & Elk, Marilena spent 17 years with a leading Cleveland defense firm, where she was a member of the firm's Executive and Management committees and served as chair of the Health Care Law Practice group. Marilena has tried more than 50 medical malpractice cases. Her extensive experience serving the defense bar has provided her with invaluable knowledge regarding medical malpractice and health care law.
Marilena has been recognized as an "Ohio Super Lawyer" every year since 2009, listed in Best Lawyers in America, and elected to the American Board of Trial Advocates. Super Lawyers Magazine has named her to several lists, including the Top 50 Women Ohio Super Lawyers from 2010-2017; Top 25 Women Cleveland Super Lawyers for 2012-2017; Top 50 lawyers in Cleveland for 2012-2017; and Top 100 lawyers in Ohio for 2011-2017. She has also been recognized by Marquis "Who's Who of American Women."
In 2013, Marilena was named President of the Ohio Women's Bar Foundation, the charitable arm of the Ohio Women's Bar Association. She also served as the Co-Chair of the 2014-15 Leadership Institute.
Marilena is a Founding Member of the Ohio Advisory Group to the National Museum of Women in the Arts in Washington, D.C., serves on the board of The Gathering Place and as co-chair of the Development Committee.
Areas of Practice
- 80% Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 10% Personal Injury - Products : Plaintiff
- 10% Personal Injury - General : Plaintiff
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Ohio, 1995
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Northern District of Ohio, 1995
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2013
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, Ohio
- J.D. summa cum laude - 1994
- Law Review: Cleveland State Law Review, Managing Editor
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- RN-BSN - 1989
- Major: Bachelor Science in Nursing
- Common Myths of HIPAA's "Final Rule"- What Every Practitioner Should Know, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, Vol. 6, No. 8, March 25 , 2014
- Female Perspective in a Woman Friendly Firm, The Gavel- Cleveland State University College of Law- Winter, Edition, May 8 , 2013
- Women in the Profession - Still Changing the Practice of Law, Ohio Lawyer, Nov. -Dec. 2012 , November 8, 2012
- Federal Plan for Healthcare Cost Containment: Changes are Coming, Academy of Medicine of Cleveland and Northern Ohio Magazine, July/August 2011 , July 7 , 2011
- Moment of Truth, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Journal, February 15, 2011
- Health Care and the Role of Litigation, Cleveland Marshall Law School Course Syllabus- Summer 2011, February 1, 2011
- Recouping Improper Medicare Payments, October 1, 2009
- Marilena has tried more than 50 medical malpractice cases including matters involving catastrophic injury, brain injury at birth, cerebral palsy, brachial plexus palsy, skull fractures, paralysis and wrongful death.
- Leadership and Public Speaking Program with Judge Brendan Sheehan (Professional Development Series), Case Western Reserve Law School, November 2016
- "System Errors Expanding Liability in Medical Malpractice Claims", OAJ's 2016 Winter Convention, November 2016
Honors and Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers- Top 25 Cleveland Women Super Lawyers- 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Ohio Super Lawyers- Top 50 Cleveland Super Lawyers- 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Ohio Super Lawyers- 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Ohio Super Lawyers - Top 100 Ohio Super Lawyers - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Ohio Super Lawyers- Top 50 Ohio Women Super Lawyers- 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Elected to the American Board of Trial Advocates
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America®
- Recognized by Marquis "Who's Who of American Women"
- Included in the 23rd edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 in the field of Medical Malpractice Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio Women's Bar Association
- Ohio Women's Bar Foundation, President, 2013 - 2014
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Justinian Forum
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- National Italian-American Bar Association
- International Society of Barristers